Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Asian American Pantry and another Episode of Not done with that leftover Spaghetti just yet !!!


There are certain Asian ingredients that I keep in the house at all times, they are so versatile and when I am in the market' if I see some fresh Bok Choy that looks crisp and clean I grab it!
My Asian pantry....(These are from the regular market so don't get you knickers in a twist!)
In the Fridge always on hand:
Wasabi Paste in the tube / I also save extra Wasabi from the Sushi takeout
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Thai Fish sauce
Pre-Minced and fresh Ginger
Oyster sauce
Mirin
Sesame Oil
Hoisen sauce
Thai Sweet and or Hot Chili Sauce
Teryiaki Sauce and or Glaze
Wonton and or Egg roll Wrappers
Specialty Produce:
Bok Choy
Napa Cabbage
Snow or Sugar Snap Peas
Bean Sprouts
Prepackaged Stir Fry Veggies
Cole Slaw Mix
I could go on but you get the picture let's not get nuts!
In the pantry cabinet:
Chinese 5 Spice powder
Powdered Ginger
Toasted Sesame Seeds White and or Black
Mung Bean Thread or Rice Noodles and I always have Regular Pasta Noodles
Rice Wine Vinegar
Nori/Toasted Seaweed for Rolls
What I have pictured above is such a go to dinner...It does involve other pantry items.I always keep raw peeled and deveined frozen shrimp, scallops, chicken, or steak in the freezer. I always have scallions, mushrooms, cucumbers, carrots, onions, chicken or beef stock/broth, etc. on hand.
This can be made Kosher, just do veggies, chicken or beef!
Let's get cookin'! Serves 1-2 people
In a pre-heated 450 degree Toaster Oven put
4-6 Large Frozen Raw Peeled Deveined Shrimp
4-6 Large Frozen Scallops
Place on a foil lined toaster oven tray and cook for 1o minutes till Shrimp is pink and a little curled and Scallops are tender
Remove from oven and set aside
2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1 to 1 1/2 Tsps Pre-Minced or Grated Fresh Ginger
1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 to a Tsp of Wasabi Paste depending on your heat preference
1 Tbls Oyster Sauce
2 Tbls of Honey
1 Tsp Fish Sauce
1 Tsp Sesame oil
2 Finely chopped Scallions green and white parts
1/4 to 1/2 LB of the noodles of your choice, I even use Angel Hair
Green parts of a large Bok Choy
Add any other veggies you like...sliced mushrooms, thin sliced carrots, thin sliced zucchini, Napa cabbage, etc.
Except for the Shrimp and the Scallops bring all items to a boil.
****If you are using fresh Noodles break them and boil till tender...if you are using leftover Noodles boil for 3 minutes
Then add Shrimp and Scallops simmer for another 2-3 minutes
****If using Chicken, I would use cooked
****If using Steak I would use Raw sliced thin and simmer for 15 Minutes without noodles, then add noodles****see Noodle note above!
This post was so long I'm Naming this dish The Great Wall of China Soup!

No comments: