Monday, February 16, 2009

Be the MASTER of your own Dressing!

This is a very economical answer to pricey store bought dressings. NOTHING is better than homemade dressing. This Master dressing mix can be made with so many different ingredients ,but the proportion is what's important. There are a lot of chefs that conflict on the right oil to acid ratio...some say 3:2 (Oil to Acid), but I prefer the 2:1 ratio. This leaves room for varying the acid levels at the time of serving. Let me explain...
I use a large jar ( I use a pasta sauce jar), *remember to put whatever jar you use in the dishwasher. The following measurements are based on what my jar will hold.
1 1/2 cups of my favorite oil
3/4 cups of my favorite vinegar or citrus acids (Lemon, Lime, etc.)
1 Tbls Oregano
1 Tbls Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Tbls Dijon or Grainy Dijon Mustard
Wha-La! Now you have a base that will last for up to 2 weeks depending on how much you use.
Store in the fridge...but take it out about 10 minutes before you use it, the oil will be too cold and solidified.
Every time you use it shake it really well...you can pour it right on the salad or do some add-ins.
I will shake it up pour what I need in a small bowl and then whisk in other herbs, lemon or lime juice, Worchester,(that is so not on spell check!)sauce, ginger... You can also add in mayo or yogurt. It is limitless....
***you can even use it as a marinade!
Play with it...let me know what you come up with!
Have fun!

No comments: